Building Stronger Universities Phase II (BSU-II)
The objective of the Building Stronger Universities programme (BSU) is to strengthen the research capacity of universities in selected Danida priority countries. Support is provided to their research environment and research processes. Activities include i.a. support to:
- strengthening research policies and strategies
- PhD schools
- development of research concepts
- enhancement of research quality assurance
- improving libraries and publication managements systems.
The programme covers the period 1 January 2014 – 1 November 2016 and provides DKK 100 million. The second phase builds upon the lessons learned and results achieved during the first phase, and many activities will continue. The organisation and management of the programme, however, has been strengthened to enhance the ownership of South institutions. The management of the programme is based on three levels: the university level, Danida Fellowship Centre (DFC) and Danish MFA (Technical Advisory Services). DFC acts as overall coordinator and financial management agent, and TAS as overall responsible authority for the programme.
The seven programme partners in the South are:
- University of Ghana (UG), Ghana
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Ghana
- Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA), Tanzania
- Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College (KCMC), Tanzania
- State University of Zanzibar (SUZA), Tanzania
- Gulu University (GU), Uganda
- Kathmandu University (KU), Nepal.
With the exception of Kathmandu University, all these partners also participated in the first phase of the programme (2011-2013).
In the programme, needs and priorities identified by the South partners in terms of developing their institutional and research capacity will be addressed by matching them with Danish universities, which have the skills and capacities to meet their needs in the areas identified. The latter will be selected through a match-making process where consortia of Danish universities are invited to express interest. The Process Action Plan can be found here.
In addition to the new activities of phase II, DFC will be administrating the continuation and finalizing of phase I activities:
- Completion of 41 PhD studies commenced under phase I via agreements with eight South universities from phase I;
- The redesigned ‘Capacity Building within Research Communication, Dissemination and Networking’ project of DKK 19 million:
- Capacity Building within Research Communication, Dissemination and Networking (responsible institution: Aarhus University, Department of Culture and Society (CAS))
- E-learning and Problem Based Learning (PBL) (responsible institution: University of Copenhagen, Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology)
- Knowledge Sharing, Research Dissemination and Communication (responsible institution: Technical University of Denmark)
- Proposal for establishing the University of Ghana (UG)’s Centre for Sustainability and Enterprise Development (CSED) to facilitate sustainability advocacy (responsible institution: University of Ghana Business School
- Knowledge Sharing, Research Dissemination and Communication (KSRD&C) (responsible institution: University of Copenhagen, Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology).
The next phase of the BSU Master programme, 2015 – 2017, will also be included in the BSU programme.