Home » Fellows in Denmark » Be prepared before you go » Schengen visa or Temporary Residence Permit

Schengen visa or Temporary Residence Permit

A Schengen visa or a temporary residence permit for Denmark is required for citizens from most countries, and some European countries demand a transit visa. A residence permit is always required if the stay in Denmark exceeds 90 days. Expenses for Schengen visa/residence permit for Denmark will be paid/reimbursed based on a receipt by Danida Fellowship Centre. Please note that Danida Fellowship Centre will not cover travel/hotel costs related to obtaining visa/residence permit. It should be noted that the processing of Schengen visa/residence permit takes approx. 12 weeks.

It is the fellow’s own responsibility to ensure that the visa/residence permit is valid for the full study period (exact number of days). The fellow should contact Danida Fellowship Centre if the Schengen visa/residence permit has not been obtained one week prior to the planned departure for Denmark. If the residence permit expires before the end of the study stay in Denmark the fellow should inform Danida Fellowship Centre as soon as possible and not later than one month prior to the expiration of the permit.

A fellow who holds a Schengen visa/residence permit has the possibility to enter and transit through all Schengen countries during the study period in Denmark. The Schengen visa can be valid up to 90 days and can be issued for one, two or multiple entries. It is not possible to extend a visa. The temporary residence permit can be valid for the full study period with the possibility of an extension, But it is only valid while studying at the predetermined study place. You can find the list of the Schengen countries here.

Read more about Schengen countries.