Home » Passport and Visa

Passport and Visa

A valid passport is required for entry into Denmark, and the Immigration Authorities at the airport may ask the fellow to present the “Letter of Acceptance”/”Letter of Invitation”.

Schengen visa/Temporary Residence Permit 
A Schengen visa or a temporary residence permit for Denmark is required for citizens from most countries, and some European countries demand transit visa. A residence permit is always required if the stay in Denmark exceeds 90 days. Expenses for Schengen visa/residence permit for Denmark will be paid/reimbursed based on a receipt by Danida Fellowship Centre. Please note that Danida Fellowship Centre will not cover travel/hotel costs related to obtaining visa/residence permit. It should be noted that the processing of Schengen visa/residence permit takes approx. 12 weeks.

It is the fellows own responsibility to ensure that the visa/residence permit is valid for the full study period (exact number of days). The fellow should contact Danida Fellowship Centre if the Schengen visa/residence permit has not been obtained one week prior to the planned departure for Denmark. If the residence permit expires before the end of the study stay in Denmark the fellow should inform Danida Fellowship Centre as soon as possible and not later than one month prior to the expiration of the permit.

A fellow who holds a Schengen visa/residence permit has the possibility to enter and transit through all Schengen countries during the study period in Denmark. The Schengen visa can be valid up to 90 days and can be issued for one, two or multiple entries. It is not possible to extend a visa. The temporary residence permit can be valid for the full study period with the possibility of an extension, But it is only valid while studying at the predetermined study place. The Schengen countries include: Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, France, Greece, the Netherlands, Italy, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Austria, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithaunia, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, the Czech Republic and Switzerland.

Visit to Other Countries
If the fellow plans to visit other countries outside the Schengen Area while in Denmark, the fellow must obtain visas if applicable, before coming to Denmark. If the visit is planned on the route home please note, that it is only possible to alter the return air ticket in exceptional cases, and at the fellows own expense.

Producing ID when in Denmark
The fellow is required to carry the passport (or a photocopy of the passport) at all times during his/her stay in Denmark. Should problems with the Danish authorities occur, the fellow is required to contact Danida Fellowship Centre.
Outside office hours the officer on duty at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, telephone +45 3392 0000, may be contacted.